Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ahhhhhhh, Sigh of Happiness and a Beautiful Sunshine Day :)

     First, I write to you from a wonderful place, simple, yet wonderful.  I am lying on my stomach on a wooden stage in the middle of Spanish Square right next to my huge orange and yellow striped school.  It is a glowing sunny day, after about a week of dreary clouds and rain.  I can feel the warmth of the sun soaking into the left side of my face, and the coolness of the shadow in my right.  A barely noticeable breeze is flowing, everything is a live, people are laughing, talking, moving, and resting and enjoying this beautiful day, the 25th of February.
     I just finished TOK lessons for the day, and the whole class was sitting or laying in a circle, as we talked about the comparisons between art and life.  ToK is Theory of Knowledge, and a part of every IB course - it brings together all of our subjects, and demands that you critically analyze your assumptions - and validate your opinions.  For me, it embodies the yearning that I have now to think about my beliefs, my assumptions, things that I previously assumed were common knowledge and thoughtfully examine them, and change them when I find it necessary.
     The first quote was, "Life is a work of art."  And then we moved on to asing who is the artist, do we start with a blank canvas or do we utilize  things we are given to create the outwork ourselves.  Everywhere around this place we can see people "living" = going about their every day lives.  Do they think about the idea that their lives could be art.  We cherish and revere art in so many ways - some types of art are sacred, others are provocative.  Which is your life?  Do we treat life like art?  What is the purpose of art?  What is the purpose of life?  A friend told me a couple days ago that I always ask ten questions when I am asked one.  Most of the people close to me know that I love questions - but more so I love answers, because they open up a whole new understanding, and a whole new set of questions.
   The beginning of spring has always been a memorable and special time for me, it is the beginning of lacrosse, of the last push before summer.  It is a new beginning, but it is also a summing up of all the hard work during the winter.  It is a time to dream, and fulfill those dreams.  Ahh, I am a dreamer, a romanticist, but a person who I hope is known to make those dreams come true, for myself, and also for others.
     This city is beautiful and broken at the same time, divided, yet united against the juxtaposition of the landscape.  I'm staring at a ruined building, only the chimneys and craggy scraps of wall left standing above a pile of rubble, but behind the pieces in the distance stand the mountains, capped with snow, some in the shadow but the tops glistening in the purity of the whiteness.  It is beautiful, I love the mountains - I love the outdoors, the full breath of pure air brings me peace.  Now, it is time for English class, we are analyzing poetry at the moment.
    I hope that you enjoy a few of my musings - and I send my love to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment