Sunday, March 7, 2010

Edelweiss

I had a lovely evening today.  First, we had the Balkan Cultural dinner, which was a great array of presentations and delicious food.  The students were representing Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Croatia.  We had a very talented folk singer sing some local songs, watched a traditional dance, and of course ate delicious food.  With a stomach satisfied with baklava, and many deserts and meat dishes.  Shaked and I made our way back to Musala after a short stop in Old Man's Cafe and Coco Loco.  It was a long day, we woke up early to greet two exchange students who arrived from UWC Adriatic this morning by bus.  Allie from Canada, and Emilian from Poland are switching spots with two of our students, Ardi from Kosovo and Kristina from BiH for a week.  During the afternoon I worked planning culture week events, making videos, and a moderator meeting about Pruture (Present Future) Day on the stage.

When Shaked and I finally arrived back in Musala we curled up with a bunch of lovely ladies and watched The Sound of Music.  It was the perfect movie to cheer us up, and make us smile.  Thank you to Leah, Isabelle, Michelle, Laura, Schirin, Shaked, Rikka, and Verena for the nice time together.

I dedicate the song "Sixteen Going on Seventeen" to Shaked, because she won't be sixteen for much longer, and I am turning 18 soon!  And of course my two favorite songs are...well, I really do love all of them, but "My Favorite Things" and "Edelweiss".

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Every morning you greet me
Small and white, clean and bright
You look happy to meet me

Blossom of snow may you bloom and grow
Bloom and grow forever

Edelweiss, Edelweiss
Bless my homeland forever.


Climb ev'ry mountain
Search high and low
Follow ev'ry by-way
Every path you know

Climb ev'ry mountain
Ford ev'ry stream
Follow ev'ry rainbow
'Till you find your dream

A dream that will need
All the love you can give
Everyday of your life
For as long as you live


I have some really soothing memories of my Dad playing this song on the guitar in the living room mixed in with John Denver some evenings as I was falling asleep.  Those nights I would definitely fall asleep with a smile on my face.

Good Night to all of you around the world.  May you remember your favorite things in the good times and bad, and cherish all that you have around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment